Wingate University (WU), founded in 1896, is a private, coeducational comprehensive university with the mission of developing educated, ethical, and productive global citizens. Following its Judeo-Christian heritage, the University seeks to cultivate in its students: Faith, Knowledge, and Service.
The original campus is located in Wingate, NC, and two additional campuses are located in the Ballantyne neighborhood of Charlotte and Hendersonville, NC. The University offers five types of bachelor’s degrees with 35 undergraduate majors and 35 minors, nine pre-professional programs, 12 career concentrations, six master’s degree programs, and three doctoral programs to approximately 3,600 students. Outside of the classroom, internships, undergraduate research opportunities and study abroad programs further prepare WU students for life after college.
The University has a proud tradition of providing an excellent education to its students through active learning opportunities including personalized instruction, world travel, career discovery, faith development and community service. Wingate is consistently named as a top-ten “Best Value in the South” by U.S. News and World Report. As a result, the University has experienced rapid growth in enrollment over the past five years.
In athletics, WU student-athletes compete in 22 NCAA Division II sports as a member of the South Atlantic Conference.
Wingate has also been recognized for its exceptional environment for its approximately 550 employees. The University was named a Great College to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education in 2016 and a Top Workplace for 2015 by the Charlotte Observer.
For additional information about Wingate University, please visit www.wingate.edu.
Reporting to the CFO, the Vice President of Human Resources (VPHR) will be an active and contributing member of the President’s Cabinet. The VPHR will therefore need to develop strong, effective working relationships and partnerships with all the departments of the University which includes three campuses and approximately 550 employees.
In this newly created position, the VPHR will be responsible for leading the development of a University-wide human resources (HR) philosophy, strategic plan, and operational objectives in relation to programs and initiatives that align with the University’s strategic objectives. Over time, the VPHR will be expected to structure, build, and lead a department to support multiple HR functional areas including, but not necessarily limited to: human capital planning, recruiting, development, and retention; employee relations and welfare; and benefits and payroll. The VPHR will also function as an internal consultant and partner to all University leadership and management personnel.
To accomplish the objectives listed above, the VPHR will be responsible for simultaneously consolidating currently dispersed HR activities and building an HR function that ensures the development, implementation, refinement, and maintenance of HR strategies, programs and services that support the University’s strategic plan and objectives, as well as the recruiting, development, and retention of a highly motivated, skilled, and engaged workforce. The VPHR also will be responsible for ensuring that the University is in compliance with state and federal HR policies.
The VPHR’s daily activities will consist of a wide array of HR-related activities, from the reactive and the tactical to longer term and strategic. Success in the position requires prioritization as well as effective and efficient leveraging of resources to create the time for high value human capital planning for the organization.
Specific duties will include but not necessarily be limited to:
Human Capital Strategic Planning
The VPHR will be responsible for creating, implementing, refining, and maintaining a Human Capital Plan for the organization that:
- Aligns with and supports the University’s strategic plan.
- Plans and provides for talent acquisition, development, retention, and succession activities that are intentional, strategic, and sustainable.
- Informs policy and procedure formation required to support University objectives.
The VPHR will contribute to organizational development through the following activities:
- Consult as a business partner with the President and other administrative leadership team members to bring subject matter expertise to organizational problems and opportunities.
- Develop key human resource and organizational data and statistics that support University activities.
- Monitor and contribute to the culture and work environment within the University with a goal of having a positive, professional, productive, and collegial work atmosphere that supports attainment of goals and objectives and is aligned with University values.
- Financial Stewardship
Develop and oversee, within University guidelines and procedures, the budget for the department.
- Assist in the annual salary budget preparation, working closely with the appropriate finance department personnel; responsible for coordinating the annual performance review cycle.
- Protect the University from financial impairment and reputational damage by ensuring that the organization complies with all relevant state and federal HR policies and laws.
- The VPHR will consult, as appropriate, with the University’s attorney(s) as needed to make decisions and assess and manage operating risk.
- Innovative, creative human capital strategist; entrepreneurial leader who is comfortable using appropriate change to advance the University.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about the vision and mission of the University.
- Ability to simultaneously consolidate currently dispersed HR activities and build a robust HR function.
- Clear, organized and timely communicator; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Successful HR business partner experience; should be seen as a credible leader and thought partner by management peers and the entire organization; ability to establish and maintain strong relations with employees and WU partners.
- Proactive, approachable, and demonstrates a high degree of personal accountability for driving results; ability to get results through others.
- Appropriate experience in benefits administration, compliance, policy and procedure development, employee relations, recruiting and hiring, training and development, compensation, and performance management/review (i.e., preference for a well-rounded HR generalist).
- Ability to identify, attract, develop, and retain talent; thorough understanding of best hiring practices; preference for experience creating and implementing onboarding, training, and development initiatives.
- Ability to establish systems and procedures for advancing workplace effectiveness.
- Administer/oversee the exit process, terminating benefits, coordinating COBRA benefits, responding to unemployment insurance claims, issuing service letters, and HIPAA certificates.
- Analytical; detail-oriented; technologically sophisticated.
- Ability to remain flexible, nimble and adaptable in a rapidly growing and changing environment.
- Proven experience managing legal, regulatory, and compliance issues required by local, state, and federal laws; ability to assess risk.
- Support employee welfare and serve as a resource to employees regarding HR questions or concerns.
- Masters degree preferred.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a base salary and competitive benefits package.
Wingate University abides by all federal and state laws prohibiting employment discrimination solely on the basis of a person’s race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age (over 40), sex, marital status or physical handicap, except where a reasonable, bona fide occupational qualification exists. Wingate University is committed to the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Wingate University expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
For additional information firstname.lastname@example.org