The University of North Carolina Pembroke (UNCP), a campus of the University of North Carolina system of higher education, is a regional university of more than 6,000 students. UNCP offers 41 bachelor’s and 17 master’s degrees with a student faculty ratio of approximately 16 to 1. Valued for its small class size, commitment to diversity, and affordability, UNCP has been recognized by U.S. News and World Report as the most diverse regional university in the South. In addition, the University has been named to the President’s Community Service Honor Roll several times, and was recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for community engagement.
Founded in 1887 as The Croatan Normal School to train American Indian teachers, UNCP is located in the small community of Pembroke in Robeson County, North Carolina, which is also the home of the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina. UNCP is set on a beautiful campus and is one of the safest campuses among the UNC System. While maintaining a connection to its traditions, the University today serves a broad base of students from backgrounds.
For more information about UNC Pembroke, please visit www.uncp.edu.
The Director of Undergraduate Admissions reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Enrollment, who reports to the Provost of the University. Other positions reporting to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Enrollment include: Director of Financial Aid, the Registrar, and an Executive Assistant. The total number of employees in the department is approximately 40.
Positions reporting to the Director of Undergraduate Admissions include two associate directors, six assistant directors, and seven support staff members. The Director also serves as the enrollment liaison with the Office of Institutional Research and interacts with stakeholders across the campus community.
The Director of Undergraduate Admissions is responsible for planning and leading student recruitment initiatives and overseeing/managing the daily operations of a fast-paced, customer service oriented, admissions team. This individual will provide the vision and leadership to inspire, motivate, coach, and mentor professional and support staff to reach enrollment goals, while continually monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of admission policies, practices, and procedures.
Other specific responsibilities include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:
- Assist the Associate Vice Chancellor for Enrollment in advancing the profile of the University, expanding the pool of qualified applicants, and achieving the annual enrollment objectives.
- Lead the development of marketing materials and strategies utilizing current technologies, including social media. Understand and utilize appropriate marketing and promotional activities to market the strengths of the University.
- Manage the admission process, including the recruitment plan and review of applicant information and dissemination of decisions.
- Serve as an enrollment liaison with the Office of Institutional Research to oversee the development, monitoring, and analysis of statistical reports to enhance recruitment strategies, yield management forecasting, and operational efficiency of human, physical and financial resources.
- Provide coordination between recruitment-oriented offices while assisting in the development and maintenance of a cohesive identity and high visibility with faculty regarding these services.
- Promote the use of technology in recruitment and office procedures.
- Serve as the institutional Residency Officer and the primary campus point of contact for administration of the UNC system wide suspension/expulsion database.
- Serve as the liaison to internal and external constituents regarding admissions and enrollment issues
- Manage a budget which exceeds $1.25 million annually.
- Preference for five or more years of progressive management roles within an admissions/enrollment, or related, higher education setting.
- Record of success in developing and implementing strategies designed to enhance recruitment
- Leadership and management skills; ability to motivate and mentor staff.
- Evidence of excellent planning, organization, and customer service skills; proponent of a customer service admissions model.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including effective public speaking and presentation skills; ability to interact with all constituencies, particularly parents and prospective students.
- Ability to understand the competitive landscape and communicate the advantages and value add that UNCP offers to prospective students.
- Creativity, proactive willingness to try new strategies, methods, and/or ideas.
- Energy, enthusiasm, and appropriate risk-taking profile; analytical; strong work ethic.
- Proficient in using current technology; solid experience with database enrollment planning.
- Financial acumen; ability to manage budgets and resources wisely.
- Master’s degree preferred; Bachelor’s degree required with 5-7 years of experience.
Commensurate with experience and includes competitive base salary and benefits.
UNCP is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or disability.
For additional information contactUNCPadmissions@colemanlew.com