The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina, seeks a highly knowledgeable, strategically-oriented financial executive to serve as its new Vice President for Finance and Business. This is an exceptional opportunity to join The Citadel, and its leadership team, whose mission is the education and development of principled leaders.
Founded in 1842, The Citadel is noted for its educational reputation as well as its rich history. The Citadel has approximately 2,200 undergraduate students who make up the Corps of Cadets. Men and women in the Corps live and study under a classical military system that makes leadership and character training an essential part of the educational experience. Another 1,000 students attend the Graduate College, a civilian evening and online program. For the past six years, The Citadel has ranked #1 in the annual U.S. News & World Report ratings of southern colleges that offer at least a master’s degree.
Located in historic Charleston, SC, The Citadel is a landmark in Charleston and South Carolina. With its southern charm, friendly atmosphere, and unique culture, Charleston and the surrounding region is a highly diverse locale, strategically located on the Atlantic coast half-way between New York and Miami. The Charleston region combines a thriving economy, rich history, and breathtaking environment to offer an outstanding business climate and a quality of life that is second to none. In addition, Charleston ranks as the number one city in the U.S. according to Conde Nast Traveler’s 2011-2016 ranking of top tourism destinations in the world.
For more information about The Citadel, please visit www.citadel.edu.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Vice President for Finance and Business reports to the President, is a member of the senior leadership team, and works with the team to advance the strong financial position of the college. Each member of the senior team serves the educational mission of the institution by helping plan, direct, monitor, and coordinate the financial, accounting, and procurement activities in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, federal/state/college regulations, internal controls, and sound business practices.
Functional areas reporting directly to the Vice President for Finance and Business include: Financial Services; Budget and Analysis; Procurement Services; Auxiliary Services; and Human Resources.
The Vice President for Finance and Business works strategically and collaboratively to enhance The Citadel’s financial strength through strategic planning, data analysis, innovative ideas, effective partnerships, efficiencies, high quality budgeting and monitoring, accurate accounting and tax compliance, and useful reporting required to support sound decision-making. Other duties include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Develop and execute a Strategic Financial Plan to include entrepreneurial measure to grow alternative revenue.
- Meet regularly with the President and The Citadel’s Fiscal Review Board (financial governance body).
- Provide financial related support to The Citadel Board of Visitors and The Citadel Trust, one of three foundations supporting The Citadel.
- Collaborate with external auditors to ensure timely, accurate, and independent reports of the financial condition of The Citadel.
- Strong preference for at least ten (10) years of related professional financial experience that demonstrates progressive responsibility and evidence of strategic leadership.
- Strong preference for at least five (5) years of applicable higher education financial management experience.
- Broad technological experience optimizing the use of complex automated systems, analytical tools, and reporting implementation.
- Experience in capital projects and bond financing is a plus.
- Effective leadership skills combined with a strong work ethic and an ability to prioritize work, advance multiple projects at once, and adjust plans as circumstances change.
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate opportunities, create a shared vision, promote change, and implement new strategies in a complex environment with a diverse constituency.
- Collaborative nature and positive outlook that supports the building of teams and effective relationships across organizational lines; strong desire to mentor and develop staff while promoting a respectful environment and workplace.
- A master’s degree in business, accounting, finance, or closely related field is preferred.
Commensurate with experience and includes competitive base salary and benefits.
The Citadel is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate against any individual, or group of individuals, on the basis of age, color, race, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, pregnancy, national origin, genetic information, or veteran’s status in its employment practices. The Citadel has a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to working in a multicultural environment. We encourage applications from minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.
For additional information contactCitadel@colemanlew.com